Monday, February 8, 2010

Procrastination

Procrastination is my middle name. I do my best work when put in a crunch. Well, that's what I used to tell myself. Then I had kids. I have since learned, slowly, that things that I put off until Scarlett O'Hara's famous "tomorr'a is anoth'a day" rarely get done. Not only that, but then I have to explain to my husband why I didn't do it. Talk about feeling like a kid caught with my hand in the cookie jar.

So, today I am procrastinating doing the last of our tax stuff. We have QuickBooks online, which links to our bank account, and has made my life 90% easier when it comes to entering expenses in the register. All too easy. So easy that I have gotten 8 months behind in entering the details of those entries. I see that the phone bill cleared the bank, and that QB logged it- but the darned QB doesn't enter the name of the bill or what category it goes under- just the amount. Sigh. SO, now I am playing avoidance with my Boss- who happens to be my husband. Are we ready to turn our taxes in yet...ummmmmmm, not quite ready, dear. This week! Promise! that was last week...

So I guess I will get it done today...I hate having to get things done, why can't I put it off until tomorrow?

I suppose I learned at an early age that procrastinating was good for me. Waiting to finish homework, especially writing book reports, almost always resulted in good grades. Not to say all my grades were good- just those that I waited to finish. I still find my self waiting, pondering, dwelling on things in my mind. I am teaching K-2 grade Bible class right now and do I spend all week planning our class activity? Have you not been reading this? So I find myself, at 20 minutes before the bell, scrounging for glue, and darting around in the rain for sticks to make a picture of Abraham & Isaac. And the project came out well and was fun!

BUT, this bad habit has resulted in me putting off serious exercise and diet habits for 10 years. Come to think of it, the last time I got serious about getting healthy was 2 years ago, when I went to a "Military brat" reunion. Again, I had a deadline- I needed to be thinner. What is my motivation now? Hmmmmmm. I was thinking of something like a jar with money in it- $1 for every pound I have to lose. I get the money back with each lost pound....but, no, that isn't motivating enough. Sigh. I am working on working toward motivating myself to do this. It is incredibly hard to change a life-long habit. So, I will think on it....perhaps tomorrow....after all....

TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment