Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Spring fever

Who knew that earthquakes in Chile would result in a tomato shortage? So, because we sell quite a bit of produce during the peak season at our shop, and we are unwilling to pay 2-3x normal cost for sub-par tomatoes, we are busy building large square gardens to grow tomatoes in.
Llama and I had planted two smaller 4x4 gardens with cucumbers, lettuce, green beans, carrots, strawberries and cantelope. Just enough for our family.Now we are going to be tending 3 or 4 8x8 gardens full of tomatoes,onions and bell peppers- all in short supply this year. Fun, fun. At least, because they are raised beds, we won't be stooped over weeding all season. Now to keep fire ants and animals out...

Spring brings with it 30mph sustained winds, which ruins the 80* fun. We were 6 days short of the 100 year old record for number of days below 80*, until today. If you've ever lived in Texas, you know that's a big deal. Hopefully April will be softer and mild. I'm so not ready for the Texas heat.
I also hope April will bring better things for Joe Cool. Without details, poor Joe is deep in the throws of 15. He is like a cable TV channel- All Drama, All the Time, 24/7, 12 months, 365- and yesterday was the Special Movie-of-the-week. He surprised us with a subtle (not) hint of what turmoil is going on in his mind. Joe is the strong, silent type. Unless he yells back, I don't have a clue what he's feeling or thinking. I didn't yell at him, and he didn't yell back. He didn't say a word, yet I heard him loud and clear. And poor kid forgets he lives in a small town, where news spreads fast- thankfully he was home before all my hair fell out.
So, now I am left looking around and into myself. Am I too smothering? Too hard? Too soft? Too vocal? What do I not understand, and why don't I get it? Cool Daddy didn't seem too upset- he got right to the heart of the matter and laughed it off. I had nightmares. I hurt for him. I wish I could take his cares away.
Today I want to crawl into Joe's head and dig around until I get it. Maybe it's not just him, but all males. I hope Llama girl isn't like this. I hope, because she's a girl, that she will be more verbal with her thoughts. There isn't anything wrong with Joe, I'm just a woman who looks at the male species through a telescope.He's on Mars, I'm on Venus. And the mental cell phone service here bites.

Spring Fever also brings that ridiculous thing we call Daylight Savings Time. That wonderful thing that makes us stay out late, enjoying the warmth and tending the yard, that thing that makes us not sleepy at bed time- also makes us all look like zombies in the morning. Poor Llama is still bouncing around at 10pm, only to stand in the living room at 7am looking like she isn't going to survive her late night bender.

So, between the yard, the time, the garden, the laundry, the dishes, and the errands, I am trying to get a grip on this new reality. The time has changed, the seasons as well. And I hope that the new fragile state of Joe is temporary. That he doesn't break. That with Gods help, we can hold him tenderly enough to protect him, support him and help him move forward with as few dings, chips or cracks as possible. After all, anyone who has a Joe Cool or Llama, Llama in their possession understands just what precious, and valued treasures they are. Priceless.

2 comments:

  1. My thoughts and prayers are with you for Joe Cool. I too had one of those. Mine barely stayed out of trouble, and was totally uninterested in school. However, he has grown into a wonderful husband and father of whom I am very proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much. He normally is a great kid, I sure hope he stays that way. I pray so. :)

    ReplyDelete