Monday, April 12, 2010

Cinderella 101

Llama and I went to see Cinderella at a local Children's Theatre this weekend. Anyone with a young daughter will understand how significant an event this was. Llama woke early Saturday, on a mission to find the "perfect" outfit to wear. After arguing over why she couldn't wear her leotard or her 2 year old ratty, dirty old Cinderella dress, we headed to Wal-Mart to try and find something else appropriate.
If you've had the privilege to read "Pinkalicious", you can see what my child looked like. She had on a Pink Tutu, Sparkly crown, delicate slippers, white gloves complete with pink fur trim and a "cupcake" wand- just to tie the whole ensemble together. Ridiculously frilly in concept, yet perfect in it's 5 yr-old execution. She felt beautiful- like a Princess.
The play was fun, a Rogers & Hammerstein musical, which is not the Disney story most of the kids are used to. Llama spent most of her time asking when Cinderella was going to go to the ball, and get married and KISS THE PRINCE. The most important part of any Princess story- THE KISS. For my Llama, that was the icing on the cupcake- the pinnacle of perfection, the Taj to her Mahal. The wide-eyed grin she turned and gave me when Prince Charming kissed Cinderella was priceless.
Ah, to be so innocent to think a kiss is all it takes! After the play, the characters came out to sign autographs for the kids. In the interest of time between shows- The Prince and Cinderella were not allowed to pose for pictures, just sign autographs in a quickly moving line. Llama, who had stripped most of her accessories off, quickly put them all back so that she would be decked out to meet Royalty. She would have loved to climb into Cinderella's lap and talk to her, to hug her, to ask her about Kissing the Prince. Alas, she had to be satisfied with staring at them in their regal wedding attire- a wistful sigh on her lips and yearning in her eyes.
Llama spent the rest of that day, and the next, pretending to be a Princess. I had to pry the wand out of her hand, and peel the outfit off of her for church. She got a souvenir glass slipper, which she promptly tried to put on...
Next month, it's Peter Pan. She already asked if he is going to fly...now to watch and be sure she doesn't try it herself!

I look at my Pinkerella and think back to my youth. I am thankful that I am able to help her indulge her imagination. Since having her cast removed, she is leery about doing gymnastics again. I have given her the choice of gymnastics or trying a dance class. I wish I had been given those choices as a child. But a military Dad just didn't understand how desperately I wanted to be a Ballerina. I would practice Pirouette's and Plies. I did a marvelous Arabesque on the footstool to Beach Boys tunes on the 8-track.
Sigh...I could've been a Prima Ballerina!! So now, as a mom, I try to listen to my children's dreams...and as long as she wants to be a Princess, I will help her in any way I can. After all, we will not pass this way again, and I hope she will one day look back and remember the time she was a Fairy, a Princess, a Super-Star...a Llama, Llama Girly Drama!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment