Monday, January 25, 2010

For the Family

Last night, my husband and son decided to place a wager on who would win the Saints-Vikings game. Joe Cool picked the Vikings; Dad, the Saints. The loser has to wash dishes every night for a week. It was a real nail-biter, my son being the most nervous about losing and having to expose his skin to soapy water for seven days straight. He had reason to be worried- Joe Cool Jr. Lost.

Just before the game ended, I made the comment that I was the REAL winner in this deal, regardless of the outcome. Me. Mom. Chief cook and bottle washer. Dish washer extraordinaire.

My husband looked at me funny and said, " I thought the things we do around here were for the entire family, not just for one person." It gave me pause. It made me ponder. I wondered if I should be ashamed for my view on this. Then it occurred to me that if what we do around the house if for each other, then how come I do all the doing?

The flip side of that thought was the understanding that my husband works 60+ hours a week for the family, not just himself. He puts us first by providing for us, and I put them first by doing for them. (I won't list all the ways I help with the business and his other work as well.)

So, now I feel guilty, as usual, for wishing someone else would lighten my load. I feel bad asking Dad for help since he works so much. Joe Cool helps if I drag him away from the solar system where he is the Center of the Universe. Llama is some help when she can be, but generally she is at the age where picking up and cleaning are beneath her- since she's a Princess and all.

I suppose it is my fault for taking the housework load on to myself. Tending to the house, chores, etc. is something everyone should do to help the family function smoothly and efficiently.
I guess what I feel is that while we should all pitch in, no one thinks of doing so.

Oh, occasionally, when the dishes are blocking access to to the coffee pot, Dad will load the dish washer. And Joe Cool will do it without too much fussing, never without being asked and rarely thoroughly. I guess what I need is some consistency. Some predictability of who will be doing what, when.

And so, tonight- after I finishing cleaning up when everyone has gone to bed- I think I will make a chore chart for the entire family. Like Jo-Jo on SuperNanny, I will make a sticker chart for Llama, and if the guys need it, I will go find some gold star stickers so they too can feel accomplished. Just like I do when the floor is freshly swept, mopped and shiny....just before they track mud across it.

:) Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment