Monday, January 11, 2010

Remembering

This time of year, when the madness of Christmas is behind me, I start to think. As painful as that is, and as much smoke as it produces, I think. What, you may ask, could make me do such a foolish thing? My children, of course.

God knew what He was doing when He gave us two children not born of my womb, just our hearts. I cannot imagine what a nightmare I would be if I could hold pregnancy & delivery guilt stories over the heads of my children. God spared them the torture. (Of course, it gave me one less excuse for the post-baby fat I carry around).

Every year I write a letter to a birth mother. I write it because I promised to. In some way it gives me peace and in a twisted way it makes me feel less guilty. I have not received a reply yet, though I stamp each envelope with a clearly marked return address. I both hope for and fear a reply.

I agonize over pictures to be sure there isn't location information in them, and I fret over sending too many close up pictures because everyone knows you will run in to everybody you know at Walmart eventually. I am careful to only use first names and birth names. I don't know if my fears of being located before they are adults is rational or not, but it is real.

On the other hand, it is a joy to me to be able to look back on the last year of their lives! I try to imagine what I would want to know if I were waiting for this letter, and I write. It is harder because my children were not given to me by the birth parents choice, but I imagine that they still love them, and I tell them how much these children are loved.

I write, edit, cry, and laugh. I do it in private, my husband has never read the letters- I am a mother writing a woman who was, for a brief moment, a mother. Her wrongs do not take that biology away.

And so, this time of year, because I think- I am more withdrawn, less creative, less lively. But give me time...the smoke will clear. Then the craziness resumes.

1 comment:

  1. Cute blog Cathy, but may I suggest for those of us with vision challenges, that you lighten the writing of your posts? the maroon and green colors are pretty, but the black writing on maroon background makes it a bit difficult. Just a thought;) otherwise, keep up the good work!blogging is fun!

    ReplyDelete